AmeriHealth Caritas Louisiana Makes It Easier for Members to Get Medical Help During Tropical Storm Barry
AmeriHealth Caritas Louisiana, a Healthy Louisiana Medicaid managed care health plan and part of the AmeriHealth Caritas Family of Companies, is committed to the health and safety of Louisiana’s communities during Tropical Storm Barry, anticipated to impact Louisiana in the coming days. AmeriHealth Caritas Louisiana is working with its partners throughout the state to help ensure continuity of care to its members during this critical time.
AmeriHealth Caritas Louisiana has made important temporary adjustments to its coverage policies and procedures. The following changes are effective 7/12/2019 and will remain in effect through 7/17/2019:
- AmeriHealth Caritas Louisiana is temporarily lifting medical prior authorization timelines and will not deny requests for late notification of medical services requiring prior authorization.
- Members who were not able to take their durable medical equipment or prescription supplies with them when evacuating their homes, or who lost those supplies due to flood damage, can obtain medically necessary covered replacements.
- Members who need medically necessary covered medical care services during an evacuation can obtain those services from out-of-network providers. Member Services (1-888-756-0004) is ready to help answer any questions.
- To make it easier for impacted members to receive medically necessary covered medications, AmeriHealth Caritas Louisiana has temporarily lifted pharmacy edits, allowing for early refills of non-controlled medications and provision of pharmacy benefits for members living in parishes with mandatory evacuations (Jefferson, Plaquemines). Members may refill their regular 30-day supply medications earlier than usual to help ensure a sufficient supply, and prior authorization is temporarily lifted on non-controlled medications.
- Members are encouraged to visit AmeriHealth Caritas Louisiana's website at www.amerihealthcaritasla.com or our Facebook page for the latest information.
Members who have questions about out-of-network coverage, need transportation to a health care provider, or have other health-related questions during the weather emergency can call AmeriHealth Caritas Louisiana's Member Services team 24 hours a day at 1-888-756-0004. Hearing impaired members can use the TTY line at 1-866-428-7588.
AmeriHealth Caritas Louisiana also has care managers available to assist members in navigating through their health care needs during this difficult time. AmeriHealth Caritas Louisiana’s Rapid Response and Outreach Team can be reached at 1-888-643-0005.
Members experiencing a medical emergency should call 911 immediately or, if conditions are safe, go to the nearest emergency room.
The AmeriHealth Caritas Louisiana office in Baton Rouge, and its Community Wellness Center in New Orleans will be closed on Friday, July 12, 2019.
About AmeriHealth Caritas Louisiana
AmeriHealth Caritas Louisiana is one of five Medicaid managed care plans that participate in the Healthy Louisiana program. AmeriHealth Caritas Louisiana helps Louisiana families get proper care and stay well. AmeriHealth Caritas Louisiana works with communities in need to achieve positive health outcomes throughout the state.
About AmeriHealth Caritas
AmeriHealth Caritas is one of the nation’s leaders in health care solutions for those most in need. Operating in 11 states and the District of Columbia, AmeriHealth Caritas serves more than 5 million Medicaid, Medicare, and Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP) members through its integrated managed care products, pharmaceutical benefit management and specialty pharmacy services, and behavioral health services. Headquartered in Philadelphia, AmeriHealth Caritas is a mission-driven organization with more than 35 years of experience serving low-income and chronically ill populations. AmeriHealth Caritas is part of the Independence Health Group in partnership with Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan. For more information, visit www.amerihealthcaritas.com.